The child has constipation: what to do?
Watch the video
Most mothers often experience problems with constipation or, conversely, bowel disorders in a child. No need to be afraid of finding constipation in a child. What to do in this case depends on the age of the child.
What is considered constipation
Constipation is the inability of the body to empty the intestines for a certain period of time, the duration of which varies with the age of the child:
- in an infant to the age of 3 months, ideally, the number of bowel movements should correspond to the number of feedings. This applies to children who eat mother's breast milk. Children - "artificiality" at this age is allowed emptying of the intestine at least 2 times a day;
- Starting from the 4th month, 1-2 emptyings per day are considered the norm;
- After one year, the child should have a daily bowel movement. With a normal stool consistency, bowel movement is acceptable every other day.
About constipation can also be judged by the number and condition of feces.In the first months of life, a chair in the form of a gruel is considered normal, and the decorated feces is a sign of constipation. Starting from 6 months to 1.5 years, both forms are acceptable with regular stools. After two years, the child should have a regular, regularized chair.
Types of constipation
In most cases, children's constipation associated with impaired intestinal motility and are divided into two main types:
- Atonic constipation. Associated with a violation of the contractile function of the intestine. It is characterized by the absence of the urge to empty, a rare stool and a large volume of feces.
- Spastic constipation. Occurs as a result of intestinal spasms. His signs are stools in the form of hard pellets and abdominal pain.
Causes of constipation in children
Only by establishing the cause of constipation, you can cope with this problem. The following causes may be a violation of the stool in infants who use breast milk:
- poor nutrition of a nursing mother;
- "Hungry" constipation due to lack of breast milk;
- lactose deficiency;
- insufficient amount of fluid in the diet;
- early introduction of complementary foods or switching to artificial feeding;
- prikormki on natural cow or goat milk.
By the second year of life, constipation can occur against the background of ongoing physiological changes in the body (the growth of milk teeth, bowel lengthening due to a change of diet), as well as psychological problems due to schooling for defecation in the pot.
First aid for constipation
Some parents panic and do not know what to do with constipation in a child. If these are isolated cases, the child should be helped to empty the intestines with an enema. To do this, take a glass of boiled water at room temperature and add 1-2 tsp of glycerin.
Alternatively, you can use glycerin candles. Before the year, use a third of the candle, up to three years - half, after three years - the candle completely. Too often using candles with glycerin is not recommended.
The microlax enema has proven itself well. It acts directly on the rectum and dilutes the feces. Microlax is completely harmless and can be used from the first birth days of a baby.
In no case do not need to apply folk methods in the form of a piece of soap or irritate the anus with foreign objects. Pain relief from abdominal massage can be alleviated.
In some cases, only medical care is needed: for severe pain and symptoms of intoxication, discharge of blood from the anus.
Treatment and prevention of childhood constipation
Every parent should know the answers to such questions: How to treat constipation? How to treat constipation in children? Treatment of constipation in an infant to the age of one year consists in correcting the mother's diet during breastfeeding and selecting the mixture during artificial feeding. It is recommended to increase its physical activity, massage the tummy and spread the child on the stomach. Between feedings you can give sweetened water.
An older child will be helped by a properly composed menu. A laxative diet for constipation is an important link in the fight against childhood constipation. First of all, it is necessary to exclude from the diet food that causes stool thickening (rice porridge, pastry, bananas, whole milk) and the formation of gases (cabbage, mushrooms, legumes, tomatoes). Peristaltic bowels weaken jelly, tea, cocoa, blueberries. Sour milk products must be included in the diet. Give your child as much as possible purified non-boiled water.
Drug treatment of constipation should be prescribed only by a doctor after an examination and finding out the causes of regular problems with bowel movements.
Where to listen to lectures on literature
How to mount video
What is plasma
How to catch a mouse
How to connect lights
Stretching - the perfect body to get really
Why everyone should visit Oktoberfest
How to wake a person