Black garlic - composition, taste and beneficial properties
Gourmets, who often try different dishes, surely are interested in new products. But everyone else will be interested to learn about such an unusual vegetable as black garlic. What is it, what is it eaten with?
What is it?
Black garlic is not a new sort of garlic and not a separate vegetable, but an interesting dish. It is prepared from the usual head by long fermentation. White unpeeled garlic for 1-2 months is placed in special conditions under which constant high temperatures are maintained - about 60 degrees.
During fermentation (natural fermentation), the concentration of amino acids and glucose in the composition increases, which changes the taste and appearance characteristics. The teeth are very soft, become dark in color and lose their sharpness. On the taste they become sweetish, pleasant. The texture is tender, reminiscent of figs. The characteristic smell is also lost: it becomes less pronounced, more pleasant.
How did it come about?
The history of the emergence of a unique black garlic is very interesting and goes back to the ancient traditions and origins of the development of Thailand and Korea. In such countries, Taoism is practiced, according to which garlic is considered a product of longevity. And in order to preserve and enhance its properties, the heads were specially processed.
Only at the beginning of this century, the entrepreneur Scott Kim, who conducted numerous gastronomic experiments and finally achieved the desired result, managed to recreate the most ancient and amazing recipe. Today, a vegetable from South Korea is imported into many European and Asian states.
The composition is amazing and even more rich than the usual garlic of white. It contains numerous beneficial substances: proteins of plant origin, carbohydrates, dietary fiber, ash, selenium, copper, manganese, iron, zinc, phosphorus, sodium, magnesium, potassium, calcium, a huge number of amino acids (arginine, lysine, valine, methionine, tryptophan and others), as well as vitamins PP, K, C, E and group B.
Useful properties of black garlic:
- This product is used as a rather powerful natural antibiotic and effectively inhibits the activity of pathogenic microorganisms, preventing them from multiplying.
- Scientists note pronounced antioxidant properties that provide prevention of cancer due to the prevention of malignancy and mutations of healthy cells of the body. In addition, natural antioxidants slow down the processes of oxidation and aging of tissues.
- Black garlic is useful for the immune system: it strengthens the immune system, provides high resistance to attacks of viruses, fungi and bacteria.
- Vegetable helps to stabilize blood pressure, strengthen the heart muscle and normalize its activity.
- With regular use improves the composition of blood: more blood cells are formed, the hemoglobin level returns to normal.
- Favorably, black garlic acts on the vessels, strengthening their walls, reducing fragility and preventing the formation of atherosclerotic plaques.
- The product helps to clean the liver, restore its cells.
- Black garlic will help maintain water-salt balance.
- The dish is useful for the gastrointestinal tract, as it removes toxins from it and stimulates peristaltic contractions of the intestinal walls, regularly releasing it from its contents.
- Including in the diet black garlic, you can improve sleep, eliminate increased nervous excitability, strengthen nerve cells.
- The product accelerates metabolic processes, supports the normal course of important reactions.
Even such a unique and useful product as black garlic can cause harm. First, it has contraindications, albeit few: aggravations of peptic ulcer and gastritis, acute pancreatitis, severe diseases of the kidneys and liver, as well as individual hypersensitivity.
Secondly, with the abuse of possible unpleasant side effects: flatulence, belching, nausea, diarrhea, bloating. The daily rate does not exceed 2-3 teeth.
Thirdly, if the production technology was violated, and pathogenic microorganisms got into the head, then an exotic dish can provoke poisoning and general intoxication of the body.
Features of use
In Asian countries, garlic is used in cooking very widely, and in a variety of ways: fresh and heat-treated. It goes well with vegetable, meat, fish dishes, rice, olives, pasta, cheese. You can just smear it on a piece of bread and enjoy such an unusual sandwich.
Recipes dishes with the addition of black garlic:
- Chicken with garlic. It is prepared simply: the whole carcass is thoroughly washed and stuffed with the cloves of black garlic. Send the bird to an oven heated to 180 degrees for 60-80 minutes. Grease the pan with oil or grease, and you can also cover it with parchment.
- Try to make an unusual snack. Peel black garlic and fill it with salty boiling water (1/2 teaspoon of salt per glass of water) for five minutes, then fold it in a colander to drain off excess moisture. Prepare the marinade by pouring three tablespoons of wine, rice or apple vinegar into the glass, and two tablespoons of red wine. Pour the garlic cloves into halves with this liquid, and then send the container to the refrigerator for several hours.
- Marinate black garlic.First, clean it, fill with boiling water for a few minutes. Add three tablespoons of lemon juice, one teaspoonful of sugar and salt, chopped dill and a little ground pepper on one head. If desired, put a little vinegar. Garlic is marinated overnight until ready.
- Surprise your home with an interesting garlic soup. To do this, fry the peeled and chopped finely onions with black garlic in olive or other vegetable oil in a pan. Peel and chop the potatoes, cover with water and boil until almost done. Add roasted garlic with onions, to taste greens, salt your soup, let it brew a little and serve.
It is interesting to know
Finally, interesting facts about such amazing black garlic:
- The taste of black fermented garlic resembles unsalted soy sauce with notes of garlic.
- After chewing cloves, there is no unpleasant odor characteristic of white garlic.
- With prolonged heat exposure, garlic forms a substance melanoidin, which gives a dark rich tint and is also present in cooked kebabs, toasted bread. But there is no burning taste.
- Black garlic can be used as an aphrodisiac, which increases libido in men and women.
- Prepare this unusual dish at home is extremely difficult, because you need to maintain a constant high temperature for 1-2 months.
If you see unusual black garlic in the store, you must buy it and try to cook something interesting!
Leggings are new pants for summer
How to return a child
What you need to open the FE
New Year's Champagne
Household tricks for parents and grandparents
Delight and joy dogs