Disadvantages and benefits of hormonal contraception
If in the near future you are not planning a child, then surely you are concerned about the issue of preventing unwanted pregnancy. There are many contraceptives, but the most popular are hormonal drugs. But before you start taking them, study all the pros and cons.
Let's start with a good one and list the advantages of taking hormonal preparations:
- Normalization of the menstrual cycle. Yes, if the drug was chosen by a specialist correctly, then the cycle is really normalized. And this will allow you to plan ahead pastime and especially rest.
- Reliable protection against unwanted pregnancy. If you take contraceptives correctly, then the guarantee to prevent the onset of conception can reach 95-99%. For example, condoms will not provide such protection.
- Many say that while taking hormonal drugs it becomes less noticeable or even the symptoms of PMS (premenstrual syndrome) disappear,such as pain in the lower abdomen, tension, engorgement of the mammary glands, mood swings, increased appetite, weight gain, and so on.
- Some well-chosen remedies can help reduce weight.
- If the drug was chosen correctly, it will help to normalize the hormones and get rid of the problems associated with its violations. The most common and relevant are acne, high-fat skin, increased hair fat, increased hair and so on. Some women say that they have become more attractive and confident.
- Hormonal contraceptives are often prescribed after the surgery and allow several times to reduce the risk of inflammation associated with surgical interventions.
- Such drugs can make menstruation less abundant and painful. And this means that the risk of iron deficiency anemia associated with significant blood loss is reduced.
- The use of oral hormonal contraceptives can be called very convenient. All you need is to take a pill once a day. And for many it is much more comfortable and easierthan the use of many other means and methods of preventing unwanted pregnancy, such as interrupted sexual intercourse, condoms, intrauterine devices.
- Take such funds can even young girls.
- Taking oral contraceptives can protect against certain diseases of the musculoskeletal system associated with hormonal and metabolic disorders, such as osteoporosis.
- It is proved that hormonal drugs can reduce the risk of developing cancer of the uterus, ovaries and mammary glands. Moreover, the maximum reduction of this risk is observed after several years of admission.
- Taking contraceptives prevents the development of certain diseases of the female genital tract, such as endometriosis, mastopathy, fibroids, ovarian cysts, and so on.
- As a rule, after the abolition of such funds there are no problems with conception. In addition, the ovaries, which for a long time "rested" under the influence of certain hormones, begin to work more actively, so that the chances of successful fertilization even increase.
- If you are planning to go on vacation,then hormonal drugs can help with menstruation. In order to “postpone” it, one should not do the seven-day reception, but immediately start receiving the next package.
Now list the cons:
- Only an experienced specialist can pick up a hormonal drug and only after an examination. So, a woman must pass a blood test to detect the level of certain hormones. Only in this case can the possibility of side effects be minimized.
- There are quite numerous contraindications. These include age over 40-45 years, hypertension, a tendency to clot formation, increased blood coagulability, varicose veins, breast-feeding, pregnancy, vascular disease, thromboembolism, vaginal bleeding of an unclear nature, epilepsy, diabetes mellitus, migraine, some liver disease (cirrhosis) and gallbladder, amenorrhea (especially in nulliparous girls), serious chronic cardiovascular diseases, intensive smoking (more than 10-15 cigarettes a day), malignant neoplasms about rganov reproductive system.
- The use of hormonal contraception requires responsibility and organization. So, you need to take pills daily, and preferably at the same time.And if the rules are broken, then the risk of unwanted pregnancy will increase.
- If you violate the rules of taking the contraceptive effect is reduced. Even if you miss one tablet, there is a risk of getting pregnant. So if you notice a pass, in the coming week, use other additional methods or contraceptives.
- Hormonal drugs protect only against pregnancy, but not from sexually transmitted diseases. So if you plan to contact an unfamiliar partner, then additionally use barrier means, that is, condoms.
- There are some features of the combination of oral contraceptives with some other drugs. For example, simultaneous administration of antibiotics can reduce the contraceptive effect, which will lead to the onset of pregnancy.
- In the first few months of taking the funds of this group, there may be spotting spotting between menstruation. If they do not disappear in three or four months, the issue of changing the drug should be discussed with the gynecologist.
- Side effects may occur. These include such as aching in the lower abdomen, headaches, mood swings, apathy,irritability, increased appetite, decreased sexual desire, increased hair loss, the appearance of edema and impaired kidney function, and so on. But for many, the most unpleasant manifestation is an increase in body weight. By the way, it can be very significant. In addition, the intake of such drugs can cause increases or jumps in blood pressure, which is especially dangerous for hypertensive patients.
- Taking hormonal contraceptives can interfere with blood circulation, which increases the risk of blood clots and stroke.
- Incorrectly chosen and inappropriate remedies can aggravate the condition of acne and also cause the appearance of pigment spots.
- High price. Yes, many hormonal contraceptives are quite expensive.
Remember that only a doctor can prescribe oral contraceptives!
How to sheathe plasterboard walls
How to choose olive oil
Cord and Rhinestone Bracelet
How to cook rice in a slow cooker
Effective care for the neck and decollete
Instruction manual, price, reviews, analogues
What you need to know, before you go to Bukovel