How long to fly to Mars from Earth?
Calculate how much to fly to Mars on time, you can in days and light years. The first time a man went into space on April 12, 1961. A cosmonaut known to the world, Yuri Gagarin, traveled outside his planet. Thus began the study of extraterrestrial space, which is still not fully known. And if the flight to the moon in the past has already been successfully implemented, the exploration of Mars is planned for the 21st century. Ilon Musk volunteered to become the pioneer of the uncharted planet. But according to his calculations, in about 20 years, it will be possible to arrive on Mars in just 80 days. But so far it remains only a dream, and in modern realities much more time is required.
What is the distance from Earth to Mars?
To accurately calculate how much to fly from Mars to Earth, you need to have information about the distance between the planets. It is important to note that this is not some fixed value.Since the planets are constantly moving in orbits, today the distance between the objects of the solar system may be one, and tomorrow another.
Time of flight from the Earth to MarsaTak or otherwise, the exact distance could not be fixed today.
Now the red planet remains unexplored, since the human foot has not stepped on it. But the "rovers" and "drones" have already managed to go there. According to him, and you can navigate how much to fly to Mars in time theoretically.
To find out in more detail how much time to fly to Mars by time, you should carefully read the following facts:
- Mariner-4- the interplanetary station, which for the first time carried out a mission to the red planet in 1964, approached it at a distance of 12,000 kilometers in 228 days, many images were taken, but hopes about the presence of living organisms did not materialize;
- Mariner-6- five years after the first flight of its predecessor Mariner-6 traveled at a distance of 3,429 kilometers from Mars, the flight time took 155 days, in addition to filming, the atmosphere was studied, the temperature was determined;
- Mariner-7- the flight to the red planet took 128 days, more detailed studies of the atmosphere and temperature were carried out;
- Mariner-9- the flight to Mars took place in 1971 and took 168 days, it was used to develop a map of the planet, Mariner 9 is its first satellite, whose work ended in 1972 due to the depletion of compressed gas reserves;
- Viking-1- moved in 1976 and sank to Mars in 304 days;
- Viking-2- the flight took 333 days, the search for life on Mars was unsuccessful;
- Mars Global Surveyor- began to move from Earth to Mars in 1996, one-way trip time was 308 days, the device successfully worked for 5 years in the polar orbit of the planet;
- Mars Pathfinder- the start from the Earth was assigned to December 1996 and exactly 7 months later the vehicle landed on the red planet, it was possible to study the stones on Mars, more accurately measure the temperature, take pictures;
- Mars express- the flight was scheduled for December 2003, the flight time was 201 days;
- Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter- in the summer of 2005 a flight to Mars took place and in March of the following year the device reached its orbit, 210 days had to be flown by the time;
- Maven- Interplanetary probe launched in the US, he went to Mars in 2013 and reached its surface in 307 days.
Thus, since 1964, large-scale studies of the red planet have been conducted and to this day research has not been completed. It is necessary to reveal many mysteries of Mars, which, perhaps, will help a person in further work on space exploration.
In addition to the time expressed in days, the flight of a spacecraft between the objects of the solar system can be calculated in light years. How much will the apparatus move from Earth to Mars? It is worthwhile to consider this issue in more detail.
It is known from the school curriculum in physics that the speed of light is approximately 186,000 miles / s (299,000 km / s). Purely hypothetically, we can draw the following conclusions:
- at the closest proximity of Mars and Earth, the rays that reflect from the red planet will reach the surface of the Earth in 3 minutes;
- when the planets approach the central point, this will happen in 13 minutes;
- if the maximum distance of the planet from each other, the beam reaches the Earth in 22 minutes.
On a note! The expression “to move at the speed of light” does not mean a great speed for nothing, because light fluxes are able to travel huge distances in a relatively short time. For the understanding of man is tremendous speed.
Distances in astronomy are determined in light years. One light year is 9,460,528,177,426.82 km. This is almost 9.5 trillion km. Scientific figures do not lose hope that someday technical progress will make it possible to reach this speed limit. But while the light year is used to measure the distances between space objects, since the values there are indeed colossal.
The fastest interplanetary station
About 12 years ago, an automatic station was launched, which is currently the fastest. Its name is New Horizons. The station speed was 16.26 km / s. Enough weighty indicator, but not for outer space. However, to develop a higher speed still could not any device. The task of New Horizons was to study Pluto.
If you send a space station to Mars, it will reach it in 39 days with a minimum distance from Earth. When the planet is in the middle point of remoteness, the apparatus will reach it in 162.And with the maximum distance of Mars from the Earth station will reach only 210 days. The values obtained are approximate. No one knows exactly how long you can fly to Mars. Especially if you take into account the fact that the distance between the planets is constantly changing, and the speed of comic ships is different.
On a note! If we consider a flight to Mars on a spacecraft equipped with a high-power nuclear engine, theoretically time can be substantially reduced. Also, such a device provides an opportunity for a wide choice of the moment of take-off from the surface of the Earth. At the same time, the distance between the planets is no longer significant. However, when equipping a spacecraft with an ordinary rocket engine, the situation is somewhat different. However, nuclear facilities for traveling in intergalactic space are not yet envisaged. However, designers are working in this direction.
Video: how much time to fly to Mars?
Despite the fact that Mars is not the most remote planet from Earth, it's very long to fly to it. You have to spend more than six months in one direction. It is worth noting that not every person physically and psychologically cope with the flight on a comic ship.Cosmos is fraught with many dangers that are still not fully understood.
Find out how much time to fly to Mars, will help the following video.
PVC pipe stool
Evan McGregor meets with Mary Elizabeth Winstead
Cake Monastic hut
How to wear or wear
How to draw franky