How to Make a Noodle Beverage Boat
Planning a lazy day at the pool and don’t fancy having to get out to grab a soda or a beer? Or maybe you just want a great novelty item to amuse your party guests. The simple solution is to create a fun beverage boat using a pool noodle and large plastic container for added buoyancy. Then you can watch those drinks bobbing by!
Preparing a suitable container
Find or purchase a large plastic container.The best kind of container is one created from sturdy, clear plastic with an even, not too heavy weight.
Clean out the plastic container before using.Even if you just purchased the container, make sure it’s totally clean before you add your ice and drinks. Use hot, soapy water, rinse well and then dry with a clean towel.
Hold a trial run by placing cans or bottles in the container so you can estimate how much it could possibly hold.Keep in mind that you will most likely be filling this container with ice too.
Fitting the noodle float
Cut a pool noodle into four equal parts.This is the floating device to keep your beverage boat afloat on the “high seas”, so use a good quality new or undamaged pool noodle.
Measure each side of your container and cut the noodle to fit each side.Use either strong scissors or a very sharp knife to cut the noodle.
- If your container is round, you may not even need to cut the noodle, but instead simply wrap it around the container.
Thread the noodle parts over a long, sturdy string or rope.The rope will allow you to adhere the noodle parts to your boat. Thread the noodle parts together to create a square (or rectangular) shape that will fit snugly around your container.
- Use a strong, secure rope or string with enough slack that extends beyond the boat. You will use the remainder of the string as your “pull” so your drinks are never far away.
- Make a loop at the end of the string that fits easily around your finger or wrist, giving you easy access to your boat.
Fit the noodle pieces around the plastic container.Slide the noodle square or rectangle around your container and pull the string tight.
- Create a snug fit by tying a small knot at the base of the string so that the noodle string does not expand and release the container of drinks.
Test the container in the pool without the drinks to make sure it not only floats but to be sure that the noodle fit is correct.You could fill the container with other pool toys to determine how it holds weight.
Using the noodle beverage boat
Fill the noodle beverage boat with ice and beverages before placing in the pool.Put your boat to good use by filling it halfway with fresh ice and then add your drinks.
- Consider using only cans or plastic bottles instead of glass. If a glass bottle breaks in your pool you’ll not only have a huge mess but it could create a hazardous situation and a costly clean-up.
QuestionWon't the plastic container float on top of the water if it isn't weighed down with enough stuff?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerYes, but that is the whole point. Put the drinks in the basket kept afloat by the noodles.Thanks!
Why in the devil's name would you ever suggest having glass bottles anywhere near a pool? If they break, glass shards and splinters can become INVISIBLE at the bottom of the pool. That's horrifying!
- Keep a stack of plastic cups and a cooler of ice nearby.
- Don’t forget to remove the noodle boat from the pool and empty its contents when you are ready to go inside.
Video: How to Make a Floating Beverage Boat
How to Decorate a Garden
How to Print from Your iPhone
Shakshuka Recipes That Will Impress Your Guests
10 simple ways to a six-pack
Garrett McNamara’s 78-foot Wave Is Officially the Largest Ever Surfed
How to View Capricornus
Supermarket Shortcut: Pie Crust
How to Practice Yoga Daily
Include these in your Diet for Healthy Winters
How to Make a Peanut Butter and Banana Sandwich
How to Write an Expository Essay on an Animal