How to use egg powder?
Experienced housewives and professional cooks are well aware that the usual fresh chicken eggs can be replaced with egg powder. And what is it? And how to use the product correctly? Let's find out!
What is it?
What is egg powder? It is a semi-finished product made from fresh chicken eggs, which have passed the stages of heat treatment and drying. His other well-known name is melange, which translates as “mixture” from French. Powder in cooking is considered an almost equivalent substitute for eggs and is often used in the manufacture of various dishes, moreover, both at home and on an industrial scale.
In the production of egg powder, the raw material is sampled, cleaned from the shell, thoroughly mixed until uniform, filtered, then pasteurized (subjected to continuous single heating to high temperatures), and then dried with hot air. The result is a powder that has a light yellow shade and a characteristic odor.
Composition and use
The composition of egg powder is practically no different from chicken eggs, but the concentration of the main components is higher. The product contains protein, carbohydrates, fats, zinc, phosphorus, sulfur, iron, vitamins D, A, group B. The caloric content of one hundred grams of powder is about 540 kilocalories. If you compare the semi-finished product with the raw material, then only 280 grams are equivalent to 1 kilogram of eggs.
Powder has several fundamental differences from eggs, which can safely be called benefits. First, with the loss of moisture, which occurs during drying, the proteins do not fold and completely retain their structure, which is restored and approaches the original when interacting with moisture.
Secondly, heat treatment allows you to destroy all pathogens that can survive for a long time in fresh eggs. This means that the powder is safer, and the risk of infection with salmonellosis and other serious infections is reduced to zero. Third, the semi-finished product requires much less than the original natural product, which provides a reduction in consumption and savings.Thirdly, the shelf life of the powder is much longer, and the conditions are simpler.
Consider the main beneficial properties of egg powder:
- The product is useful to use for anemia, as it helps to normalize the level of hemoglobin in the blood.
- Phosphorus increases brain activity, improves mental activity.
- Vitamin D is necessary for correct and complete absorption of calcium. Without this component, the bones will be fragile, their density will decrease.
- Zinc has pronounced anti-inflammatory properties.
- Vitamin A contributes to the restoration and improvement of the mucous membranes, skin.
- B vitamins are necessary for the smooth functioning of the nervous system. And they normalize the metabolism.
- Protein is the main building material from which new cells are formed, including the immune system and muscle tissue.
Egg powder should be of high quality, and when choosing it, pay special attention to the following parameters:
- Colour. Normally, it should be quite pale, light yellow. The darkening of the shade indicates improper storage, provoked the oxidation of fat.
- The smell and taste are almost identical with fresh eggs, if the semi-finished product is made correctly and is of high quality. The taste is burnt or sour, putrid odor - the result of violation of the terms or rules of storage.
- Solubility in water. Good powder quickly and completely dissolved in water. If it sticks together or forms lumps, the quality leaves much to be desired.
- Structure. The powder is crumbly, and the resulting lumps immediately disintegrate.
Ways to use
How to use egg powder? It has been widely used in cooking, and both at home and on an industrial scale in factories. From the powder you can easily make an omelet or scrambled eggs, after dissolving it in milk, stir and leave for twenty minutes to swell and absorb the liquid. Semi-finished product can be safely added to pancakes and any other pastry, the list of ingredients which includes fresh eggs.
How much powder is used? Its ratio to fresh eggs is about 1: 5. That is, the powder should be five times less than the natural product. It turns out, if you need to add one egg weighing about 50 grams, you can replace it with 10 grams of powder (approximately a tablespoon with a hill).
Important! Remember that in everything you need to know when to stop, so do not abuse egg powder, because the concentration of all substances in it is much higher. In addition, the semi-finished product can cause allergic reactions, as well as fresh eggs.
To powder preserved taste and all the useful properties, it is important to properly store it. It is advisable to place it in an airtight container that protects the contents from the penetration of pests, sunlight and moisture. At a temperature of not more than 20 degrees and a humidity not exceeding 75%, the product may remain suitable for use within six months. If you reduce the temperature to 2-3 degrees, and humidity - up to 60-65%, then the period will increase to one and a half to two years.
Manufacture at home
How to make egg powder yourself? This is quite realistic if you follow all the rules and the phased preparation. You will need only eggs, the number of which depends on the desired volume of the final product.
- Break raw eggs into any container and mix thoroughly, or better whisk as before making an omelet.
- Prepare a baking sheet, do not grease it.Pour the egg mass into it and send the product to dry. This can be done in different ways. The first is oven drying at about 75-80 degrees for 8-9 hours. The second option is a dryer or dehydrator. The third option is drying with improvised means, for example, a hair dryer or a fan heater (this method is expensive).
- When a solid film is formed, easily lagging behind the bottom of the pan, it means that the semi-finished product is almost ready.
- It remains only to chop the dried hardened eggs. It is possible to carry out the transformation into powder using a blender, a coffee grinder or a conventional rolling pin, if you roll it over an egg hard layer through fabric or paper.
Egg powder can be replaced with fresh eggs, and now you know how to do it. You can also get prefabricated at home.
How to structure the water
VSTerm heating boilers
What does the chest look like
What is pathology?
How to come first