The best mini fridge for drinks
The best mini fridge for drinks
The team writes about stuff we think you'll like. Business Insider has affiliate partnerships, so we get a share of the revenue from your purchase.
The Insider Pick:
Mini fridges come in all shapes, styles, and sizes … kind of like college dorm rooms and roommates. If you're looking for the perfect mini fridge and you have enough space, the offers advanced features and enough space to hold all the perishables you could want for an affordable price.
Back to school is one of the most popular times to purchase a mini fridge, because many students want a refrigerator in their dorm rooms. But these small refrigerators also work well for offices, rec rooms, garages, and garages that have been turned into man caves.
Mini fridges aren't as energy efficient as standard-sized refrigerators, and some don't hold a consistent enough temperature to preserve food safely for long periods. However, for keeping beverages and quickly consumed items cold, it works just fine. Your student will greatly appreciate having the ability to keep sodas and snacks (and nothing else) cold for late night studying with a dorm room fridge.
Primary considerations for mini fridges
Mini fridges are available in many different configurations and sizes, as eBay discusses, so you'll have plenty of choices. The key is finding the right size and features that'll make the unit perfect for your student's dorm room while fitting in your budget.
- Budget:As a general rule, a larger mini fridge will cost more than a smaller mini fridge. If you want stainless steel or a glass door, you'll pay more for these stylistic options.
- Capacity:A mini fridge's capacity is listed in cubic feet. This gives you an idea of the size and number of items you can place inside, although shelves and freezer space take up some of this capacity. Some manufacturers also list capacity for a mini fridge as the number of 12-ounce cans the unit can hold. From an energy efficiency standpoint, larger capacity mini fridges provide better results, according to Designs Authority.
- Freezer compartment:Most dorm room fridges contain at least a small freezer compartment. However, it's not accessible through a separate door like it is with a full-size refrigerator. This causes the freezer to not be as efficient as what you'll find in a standard refrigerator. Many freezers in mini fridges are too small to even hold a large frozen pizza, for example.
- Size:In a cramped dorm room, the physical size of the refrigerator matters. Look through the specifications for a mini fridge to ensure that it'll fit in the space you have available, as many different sizes are offered, including tall and thin, cube-shaped, and everything in between, according to Drink Stuff.
Features to look for in mini fridges
Your mini fridge isn't going to have a host of fancy features, like the new full-size refrigerators that can send a grocery list to your smartphone or connect to your home's Wi-Fi. The key features in a mini fridge are quite a bit more low-tech, but they're still important.
- Compressed power:A mini fridge with a compressed power unit doesn't need airflow to move across coils to help it dissipate heat. Instead, a sealed compressor powers the refrigerator. As the DIY Experts Network says, having a compressed power source allows you to tuck the mini fridge into a corner of a small dorm room without worrying about needing air movement.
- Reversible door:Some mini fridges include reversible door hinges, meaning you can have the door open to the left or right, depending on what your dorm room needs. Some mini fridges include a locking door, which Consumer Reports says may be important in a dorm room where a lot of people come and go.
- Shelving:Consumer Search shows that having glass shelves in a dorm room fridge is preferable to wire shelves, as glass shelves provide more stability and protect against spills. Adjustable shelves are important, too.
With that in mind, check out our top picks for mini fridges in all shapes and sizes.
Video: The Best Beer Fridges: Wine Enthusiast Evolution Series & Igloo 3.2-Cu.-Ft. Fridge
How to Use Photofiltre
New York fashion week: Midnight glamour from BCBG Max Azria and utilitarian chic from L.A.M.B
Cara Delevingne for Topshop Spring 2015 Collection
How to Be Just Friends with a Member of the Opposite Sex
40 Neuron Tattoo Designs For Men – Nerve Cell Ink Ideas
Influencer Freddie Harrel on Starting a Successful Beauty Business
How to Decorate Guest Towels
How to Track an iPhone
Read more of Business Insiders hurricane coverage
7 New Ways to Use a Flat Iron
Attention Shoppers: Supermarket Sweep May Be Coming Back to TV